6 Responses

1. Ann MG
    Ann MG May 25, 2011 at 1:04 pm | | Reply

I worked at our public library for seven years, starting at the reference desk and eventually moving to full-time online support: building our web site and patron training. When I say I quit in January 2000, this maybe sounds like the general course of things. But my friends who are still at the reference desk still teach intro computer skills classes: they fill as many as they offer, with a curriculum like “What is the desktop?” and “How do I delete an e-mail?” So your description resonates with me. The blase “Oh, everybody’s got e-readers now” ignores such a huge percentage of the population. It’s not the same as a technological shift like TV to cable.

2. Kellye
    Kellye May 25, 2011 at 7:25 pm | | Reply

I agree with Ann MG. I’m an aspiring YA author who buys hardbacks, paperbacks and e-books, but I’m also the proud owner (and frequent user) of library cards from five city libraries in this area. No matter which one I visit, or when, the computers are full. And it’s not just about books or the internet. Right now I have six CDs checked out from two libraries. The magazine and newspaper areas at my libraries are always busy. For me, libraries are about community and an a vast array of resources, information and entertainment. At their core, libraries are about allowing all citizens equal access to information–and that’s probably more important than ever and still essential to our democracy. (Sorry.Got a bit worked up.) Some of my best childhood memories are from the library–and the cool summer bookmobile!

3. Peter Turner
    Peter Turner May 26, 2011 at 5:51 pm | | Reply

Okay, full disclosure, my mom was a librarian for many years (and a single parent) and I spent a lot of my time after school in the stacks of the Westport Public Library, where she was director, “killing time” until she got off from work. That said, is there any more purely democratic institution that your public library. Don’t just sit there. Get out and loan something!

4. Dave Malone
    Dave Malone June 21, 2011 at 11:57 am | | Reply

Thoughtful post. Love it. Reminds me I need to get local–not only at my public library, but at my college library.

5. Syed Kamal
    Syed Kamal December 8, 2011 at 3:56 pm | | Reply

It is impossible to over rate the importance of public libraries in any society. I am not an academic, an ordinary joe who has been the beneficiary of the availability of public libraries. My work would have been impossible without Houston Public Library and the internet. Centuries worth of scholarship are stored in our books, and libraries are the repositories of this wisdom and knowledge. We can not afford to leave this behind or neglect it in any way, no matter how widespread and revolutionary the digital age is or becomes.

My question is as a member of the public how can I help?

6. Taylor Stonely
    Taylor Stonely October 23, 2013 at 10:29 pm | | Reply

I love our public library, and our community supports the many activities that go on there. It is modern and quiet and the librarians are always helpful.

Having a library in our small town gives the citizens a sense of belonging. It would be a real shame if our library ever went away…