8 Responses

1. Chris Brogan
    Chris Brogan July 14, 2009 at 7:32 pm | | Reply

I appreciate your honesty. : )

The post in its entirety is good. I like your perspective. Maybe we'll shake hands in NYC.

2. glecharles
    glecharles July 14, 2009 at 8:18 pm | | Reply

I'd be happy to shake hands; we can even hug it out!

Seriously, though, going through your archives while writing this post gave me a lot stronger appreciation for what you've built. I still disagree with you on sponsored posts, and think your overall approach isn't appropriate for most businesses, but for individual writers, you've established a great and replicable example and I'm now looking forward to your keynote in September.

Congrats on the book, and thanks for dropping in with a comment.

3. christinakatz
    christinakatz July 14, 2009 at 10:27 pm | | Reply

Thanks for the shout-out, Guy. I look forward to seeing both you and Chris in NYC in September. I'm going to need to reflect on your posts on platform and post back. So much good info to think about. I always appreciate your honesty and commitment to serving readers. Keep it comin'!

4. glecharles
    glecharles July 15, 2009 at 2:01 pm | | Reply

Back atcha! I'm looking forward to seeing your post, and to eventually reading your book; your WD article in May was a great teaser.

BTW, I received Sage's book yesterday. Thanks! Looks great, though I have a bone to pick with her about suggesting that running a reading series isn't a lot of work. 😉

5. Bill Landay
    Bill Landay July 27, 2009 at 3:57 pm | | Reply

Terrific post, Guy. This really helps crystallize a lot of ideas I've been mulling. Thank you.

6. Will Hindmarch
    Will Hindmarch November 14, 2009 at 5:31 pm | | Reply

As a geek writer and graphic designer, my niche is pretty well filled already by more handsome and more famous people. So I'm in the midst of the years-long trek to fail and fail better until my niche reveals itself… and until I'm skilled enough to really grab it. Finding a niche and living it every day is maybe the hardest part of those three guidelines — I'm willing to find a niche, but I don't want to be pigeonholed. Maybe I can be known as the guy who mixes metaphors.

I'm hoping that by keeping my patience and remembering that it's not all about me, the niche thing will gradually get easier.

Thanks for tweeting this again, Guy.

7. Guy LeCharles Gonzalez
    Guy LeCharles Gonzalez November 14, 2009 at 5:42 pm | | Reply

Patience — the 10,000 hour rule — is really the key, I think. Everybody wants to be a success RIGHT NOW, but very few overnight successes actually happened over night.

And I think you definitely have a niche, and from my vantage point, are doing all of the right things. e.g.: I know plenty of people who would kill to have worked with Will Wheaton on his books.

8. Guy LeCharles Gonzalez
    Guy LeCharles Gonzalez November 14, 2009 at 5:45 pm | | Reply

Thank you, Bob! Somehow missed your comment first time around.