9 Responses

1. Maria Schneider
    Maria Schneider April 10, 2009 at 9:36 am | | Reply

You’re using visuals now–great pic!
    I think media companies are failing miserably at social media because it is incredibly time-consuming and not immediately measurable in ROI terms (as you’ve stated.) It takes at least a couple of years to build a solid social media platform. How many media companies are willing to be that patient?

2. Geoff Livingston
    Geoff Livingston April 11, 2009 at 1:25 pm | | Reply

Strong post. With every bubble, there comes a burst, and I think the whol expert/personal brand thing is heading that way. It’s communications with stakeholders, old school PR that we’re talking about here…

I’ve been at the forefront of social media for three years and have been amazed by the past year’s events and the rise of the popular expert. Very weird.

3. Patrick Boegel
    Patrick Boegel April 14, 2009 at 7:28 am | | Reply

It is slightly more than integration that causes the time lag. Depending on the type of service or brand you are responsible for marketing, a social platform integration could be anywhere from a few drops of effort a day to a 12-14 hour job. I applaud JetBlue and Southwest among others in their approach on a platform like Twitter. But what happens when they are having a conversation with 1,000,000 followers?

I certainly agree the tag Social Media Guru, or Expert or I believe I saw one person call themselves a Social Media Wizard, has already become a red flag for desperation. While perhaps community manager is clunky as a description the role can and will be necessary regardless of what we call it. It will evolve and change rapidly, and in many cases it may be six months as you state. Marketers may need to use free lance resources who have a good feel while they seek and find excellent candidates from within their own organization.

4. Eden
    Eden April 14, 2009 at 11:28 am | | Reply

Very interesting. I absolutely agree.

I’ve felt the ‘attack’ side of social networks growing on Twitter over the past few months. But I suppose that as long as someone can label themselves a social media expert and immediately add 10,000 followers this problem won’t be going away any time soon.

Next killer feature- Twitter app that deletes all profiles and tweets from anyone with ‘social media’ in their bio.

5. olivierBlanchard
    olivierBlanchard May 21, 2009 at 10:08 pm | | Reply

Brutally brutal article for the sake of being mostly dead on target. I amreally starting to dig your blog on so many levels.

6. olivierBlanchard
    olivierBlanchard May 22, 2009 at 12:08 am | | Reply

7. SEO COMPANY
    SEO COMPANY March 30, 2010 at 1:34 am | | Reply

Social media is now an active reality for marketers. No longer something to consider as an option, marketers are rapidly increasing their budgets in this space and trying to leverage social me.